Skip to main content

Power of Mouna (Silence)

My post last Sunday was about reaching out to your friends/family and holding space for others. Reading that some one reached out.  A friend with whom I had not spoken in many years.  We just saw each other’s posts on LinkedIn and Facebook and occasionally liked them.

 

She said she wanted to speak.  I offered a video call hoping she may want me to be present.  She jumped at it and when she called all she did was cry.  No words were spoken, no hi-hellos were exchanged.  All she did was let her emotions flow.  There was pain, there was sadness in those tears and all I could do then was hold the space for her to decide how she wanted to communicate with me.  The communication, as I realised, didn’t need any words.  Her tears were enough.  And all of a sudden she was quiet.  We were in that space for almost 5 minutes.  I could just hear raindrops outside the window against which she was leaning.  And then, I saw her smile.  I smiled backed knowing that she probably spoke a lot in first 15 minutes when she let her emotions flow and in those 5 minutes where she just sat with herself oblivious that I was on her phone screen.  She thanked me saying she will get back in sometime.  And true to her words she did after about 24 hours.  She said in that silence, she found the peace she was looking for, she found the answer that was eluding her senses for a long time and she is clear of her next step though the journey ahead is still vague.

 

This International Yoga Day, I experienced an element of Yoga that is so blissful and magical.  The element of Mouna or Inner Silence. The idea of not talking for even few minutes and especially when someone is seeking comfort, could have been daunting to say the least.  The question, when someone is pouring their hearts out, could have been – How will I respond or what will I do with no conversation? Few years ago, a Hatha Yoga teacher beautifully expressed this in a class that I was a part of – Mouna provides us the opportunity to simply watch, to observe self and others without any inner chatter or a need to respond.  It’s a space you form for yourself and others to experience What IS.

 

I experienced that power of Mouna in this conversation.  No words were spoken yet so much made sense and the clarity emerged. The clarity emerged for me as well and I realised the power of holding space:

  1. Silence the ego mind – that’s where deep awareness exist for everyone.
  2. Just like we are going minimalist in our possessions how about practicing the same principles with words
  3. And when we speak, the words come from the depth of our hearts and that’s when people trust us feeling the authenticity behind them.

 

Just like my friend who experienced the truth of Mouna, are there people around you who are waiting to experience it? Reach out to them and if there is one asana you could possibly practice throughout your life, how about this one?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing Others!

A young individual in his late 20’s reached out early last year as he wanted a sounding board for something that had been on his mind for a longest time.   After series of ugly break ups, he finally found a girl who he really wanted to settle down with.   The girl, apparently, had her own share of ups and downs and therefore was leaving no stone unturned to ensure that their meaningful relationship stayed.   The hiccup in this was the energies that they put in to make the relationship work.   The boy had a hard time letting go of the past which sometimes made him inaccessible to the girl, emotionally.   The girl in her quest to let the guy stay tried every trick that relationship experts across the globe had to throw her way, making her emotionally confused and struggling.   What seemed like a beautiful relationship from outside, was actually an unauthentic association that thrived on struggles, uncertainty, lack of trust and communication, lack of self-love and respect for own

Packet of GEMS

Ever opened a packet of Cadbury GEMS or M&Ms to find button like shapes in different colors? Did you want to grab and devour each one of them even when you knew that its core is all chocolate and that’s how it is within every button? Looking back at the time when I last had a packet of GEMS (which was a few minutes ago); my relationship of joy with that packet was in exploring different colors like Blue; Orange; Green and Yellow and knowing that they will all lead up to a delightful shot of chocolate at its core. My GEMS moment happened yesterday at Believe in Yourself Coaching Festival where a different packet of GEMS was opened up for the participants to devour. It was all up for grabs…take how much you can, consume all that you can and we even got to take some of those packets home.  Celebrating Coaching; Authenticity, Purpose and Passion amongst various other things; the festival was all about getting people from different walks of lives to share their life journeys and

Soul Connects@ SPITI VALLEY

Sometimes due to the erratic lifestyles that we lead; some trips just get planned.  There is not a lot of thought; no dissections on why to go; what to see and with whom to travel; things just work out as if the place has sent you a special invite with a round trip ticket to come and make it your abode for few days! Spiti to me was one such trip.  Not many internal deliberations.  The place was on the bucket list for some time and while I may love to say I made a choice to go there; in hindsight; the place had reserved a spot for me to pay a visit and the reasons unfolded while I took this trip.  I could have left a few pictures and their descriptions for people to read and decide if they would want to experience the majesty of this place; but I feel it would be unfair and incomplete if I do not share the spiritual churn I underwent in each of the 8 days that I was lost in those mountains.  These experiences are well cherished and through this blog I am attempting to share some o